A proven, safe and simple solution to arsenic removal challenges.
In 2002, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) promulgated the final arsenic primary drinking water maximum contaminant level (MCL) of 10 micrograms per liter. In addition, some states have adopted even lower limits (5 micrograms per liter). Over the past decade, this regulation has prompted hundreds of municipalities to utilize numerous treatment technologies for the removal of arsenic. Among the various technologies available, the EPA identified adsorption with GFH Media from Evoqua Water Technologies as a Best Available Technology (BAT) for arsenic removal.
GFH® ferric-based media is a specially designed adsorbent media based on granular ferric hydroxide. It is specifically designed for the removal of arsenic (arsenate (As+5) and arsenite (As+3) from water and can remove other heavy metals as well. The arsenic removal requires no preconditioning or pre-oxidation. Applied in a down-flow packed bed configuration, it is easily applied to municipal wellhead applications.
GFH media is available in parallel or series pressure-vessel system configurations, depending on the removal requirement. For flows greater than 500 GPM, Evoqua’s HP® Series systems are available in simplex and duplex standard configurations. For flows less than 500 GPM, Evoqua’s Vantage® PTI Series systems are available in simplex, duplex, or triplex standard configurations. These systems are pre-engineered, pre-assembled, and factory tested to minimize installation and startup time.
For arsenic removal applications where the client cannot incur a capital expense for a treatment system, Evoqua offers integrated equipment and service combinations (temporary or permanent), thereby minimizing a plant’s capital investment and reducing overall space requirements. Temporary installations are also available through our mobile fleet, providing the ultimate flexibility to add or remove treatment capacity as your business grows or compliance limits change. This option also saves valuable manufacturing space while minimizing your maintenance and installation requirements.
Once exhausted, spent GFH media can be disposed of via landfill and classified as a non-hazardous waste after passing a TCLP test. Evoqua can provide full media exchange services and disposal assistance in GFH media applications.
- ANSI / NSF 61 Certified for use in Potable Water Applications.
- Consistent removal of both arsenate and arsenite forms of arsenic, even during sudden changes in influent arsenic concentration.
- Applications fully supported by Evoqua laboratory facilities to evaluate and tailor specific solutions to each application
- Standard systems using GFH® Media are designed for flows from 1 to 5,000 GPM and higher. Compact designs that require minimal operator attention.
- Service based offerings reduce capital investment required.
- Full service capabilities for spent media exchange and disposal available.
- Low waste volume (<0.1% typical)
- High arsenic capacity resulting in long media bed life and reduced frequency of media exchange
- Does not impact water pH.