In March of 2001, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued its rule setting the arsenic primary drinking water maximum contaminant level (MCL) of 10 micrograms per liter, enforceable as of January 23, 2006. State guidance was provided in August of 2002 and since then, some states have adopted even lower limits, e.g., 5 micrograms per liter. Over the past decade, this regulation has prompted hundreds of municipalities to utilize numerous treatment technologies for the removal of arsenic. Among the various technologies available, the EPA Arsenic Treatment Technology Demonstration Program has shown iron-based media to be effective for arsenic removal.
GFH® DRY Media is a specially designed adsorbent media based on granular ferric hydroxide. It is specifically designed for the removal of arsenic (arsenate (As+5) and arsenite (As+3)) from water and can remove other heavy metals as well. The arsenic removal requires no preconditioning or preoxidation. Applied in a downflow packed bed configuration, it is easily applied to municipal wellhead applications.
GFH Media can be placed into parallel or series pressure vessel systems depending on the removal requirement. To apply GFH DRY Media, our Vantage® PTI Series systems are available in Simplex, Duplex, or Triplex configurations. These systems are preengineered, pre-assembled, and factory tested to minimize installation and startup time.
For arsenic removal applications where the client cannot incur a capital expense for a treatment system, Evoqua offers integrated equipment and service combinations (temporary or permanent), thereby minimizing a plant’s capital investment and reducing overall space requirements. Temporary installations are also available through our mobile fleet, providing the ultimate flexibility to add or remove treatment capacity as your business grows or compliance limits change. This option also saves valuable manufacturing space while minimizing your maintenance and installation requirements.
Once exhausted, spent GFH DRY Media can be disposed of via landfill and classified as a non-hazardous waste after passing a TCLP test. Evoqua can provide full media exchange services and disposal assistance in GFH DRY Media applications.
|Particle Size||50 x 70 mesh / 315 x 2000 micron|
|Bulk density, backwashed (lb./ft3)||29 - 36|
|Operating pH range||5.5 - 9.0|
|Recommended contact time||3.5 minutes min|
|Maximum operating temperature||140F*|
|*Temperature limits of standard equipment. Contact your representative for higher temperature applications.|
- ANSI / NSF 61 Certified for use in Potable Water Applications.
- Consistent removal of both arsenate and arsenite forms of arsenic, even during sudden changes in influent arsenic concentration.
- Applications fully supported by Evoqua laboratory facilities to evaluate and tailor specific solutions to each application
- Standard systems using GFH® Media are designed for flows from 1 to 5,000 GPM and higher. Compact designs that require minimal operator attention.
- Service based offerings reduce capital investment required.
- Full service capabilities for spent media exchange and disposal available.
- Low waste volume (<0.1% typical).
- High arsenic capacity resulting in long media bed life and reduced frequency of media exchange
- Does not impact water pH.
In addition to arsenic, GFH DRY Media has been demonstrated to provide removal of several other contaminants, including: